Tuesday, May 6, 2008

church shopping

As a staff pastor, it's usually very difficult to visit churches that aren't currently giving you a paycheck. So now that I have some freedom, I have a little bit of what you might call visitation constipation. Last weekend, I wanted to visit every church in the city. In fact, I went to three services, and heard four different sermons.

But I realize how difficult it is to check the consumer mentality at the door. I was taking copious notes, critically assessing everything from greeters to music to the pastor's choice of clothing (pretty interesting in a couple of churches). One church even had carne asada and mariachis. It wasn't until sermon number three that I caught myself, and just listened and tried to receive from God.

Two things I'm thinking about with regards to this experience. The first is pretty obvious: I've always been critical of the "church shoppers" that come through our doors. They tend to be demanding and overtly religious. I need to not be that.
The second, however, is something into which I haven't put a lot of thought. When I was a staff pastor, what was I doing to encourage this shopping mentality? When we put out glossy mailers, offer free food and jumpies and try to do all the church things better than our "competition," what right do I have to expect anything other than blatant consumerism? Something I need to think about.

No comments: