I'm not usually a huge fan of sports books -- I tend to read a lot more ministry stuff and history -- but my girlfriend reads pretty much every athletic biography that hits the shelves. She recently handed me her copy of Tony Dungee's Quiet Strength. I felt like a little bit of a traitor reading it (the Colts do have a longstanding rivalry with my Chargers), but I read it nonetheless.
Part devotional, part inspirational sports story, Quiet Strength is a fantastic book with a lot to offer the believer, seeker or sports fan. While chronicling his coaching career culminating with his Superbowl win, he never misses an opportunity to offer self-deprecating insights or spiritual lessons learned. I wouldn't hesitate to offer this book to a sports fan with questions about the Lord, or for study in a men's small group. It even has a very Christian foreward written by Denzel Washington (who, by the way, is a fine looking black man).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment