Thursday, May 29, 2008

church leadership conference

I had the opportunity to attend a conference last week where I was going to meet with a number of church planters. I've always enjoyed hanging out with these guys; they are people who tend to be very creative risk-takers who aren't afraid to try new things. They have literally risked everything on the dream that they believe God has given them. The daunting task of starting a church from scratch also tends to make them great people of faith and prayer.

I went to this conference hoping to glean some practical advice about launching a church, and maybe to help me to decide if it's something I should pursue. Not surprisingly, God had something for me that wasn't on the conference schedule.

The first night, an Australian named Jossy Chacko (yes, that's really his name) spoke briefly. He felt that God had given him a vision to plant 100,000 churches in India by the year 2030. Honestly, I was blown away by the audacity of his vision. And, impressively, he's on track to fulfill it. I couldn't wait to hear more about his organizational structure, training and promotion.

The next morning, I caught him in the hallway. As we spoke, there were a couple of things that became obvious: 1.He did his homework. He had spent a lot of time and thought in creating a sound organization with Biblical discipleship at its core. And 2. His greatest concern with regards to church planting had nothing to do with a leadership model, promotion or organization. Instead, he talked about prayer, fasting, reading the Bible and seeking wise counsel.

I've had a lot of conversations lately regarding the topic of launching a church. Invariably, they cover the gamut of relevant issues, from demographics to ministry paradigms, through funding and promotion and back again. But when I talked to Jossy about my desire to start a church, he talked only about seeking God. He told me "If it is God's will, He will build His church" (Matthew 16:18). It would be easy to dismiss his advice as being oversimplified or culturally irrelevant. But Jossy is an educated, first world Christian with business experience and cultural savvy. He is also heading an organization that has successfully planted hundreds of churches in a part of the world thought to be completely inhospitable to the Gospel.

I would be an idiot to try to start a church without adequate research or organization. But I've committed to seek God's face and His will before anything else in this process. If you're a believer, I appreciate your prayers as well.

"Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need" Matthew 6:33

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jon, if I hadn't already linked you to my “church” Arcade this article would have ensured linkage. It is exciting to hear about people, who know what they are talking about, ditch conventional thought- i.e. logistics of church planting, and really bring it back to the basic foundation of seeking God and His will. What an awesome and encouraging post. You know I’m praying for you in this brotha!