Wednesday, May 7, 2008

redefining christianity by bob dewaay

At any church, it's important that certain beliefs and practices are accepted as non-negotiables. Prayer, Biblical authority and communion certainly fit in that category. But over time, methods and preferences can easily slip into that same compartment in our minds. Even time-tested, fruitful processes and philosophies need to be questioned once in a while.

Which is where Bob DeWaay comes in. Redefining Christianity is a scathing attack on the Purpose Driven Life, Rick Warren and by extension, any church that identifies itself with the Purpose Driven movement. Though I agree with some of his complaints, philosophically I don't know if I could have disagreed with him more.

Some of his accusations regarding Purpose Driven churches:

  • they don't do discipleship
  • they let unchurched people, not the Bible define their weekend services
  • they misuse Scripture
  • their teaching is more about man's wisdom than God's truth
There certainly are tendencies within the movement (though not necessarily in every Purpose Driven church) that cause concern, but there are just as many problems with a more traditional church model (lack of growth, few conversions, insensitivity to and disregard for the unchurched). The bottom line is, which approach is more Biblical and more fruitful? And which paradigm is better suited to deal with a quickly approaching post-Christian America?

I'm thankful to Pastor DeWaay. His book provided me with the opportunity to re-question many of my long held philosophies and practices. I found the book to be dismissive, poorly researched and the perfect addition to my normal diet of homogeneous ministry and leadership books.

"Conflict is the gadfly of thought. It stirs us to observation and memory. It instigates to invention. It shocks us out of sheeplike passivity..."
--John Dewey

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You ask the question, “which approach is more Biblical and more fruitful?” between Purpose Driven and traditional. I wonder if it isn’t really between the two. I see each as substantive in their movement, although tradition isn’t really a movement, more a habit. Regardless, I would love to do something new, and not just for the sake of newness. Biblical and fruitful are great measures; let’s use them in ways that appeal to this generation (http://www.usatoday.com/money/workplace/2005-11-06-gen-y_x.htm), not forgetting all generations, but understanding that our current generation is like none other and that our approach, therefore, must change.

Great post Friend.
P.S. Love that John Dewey quote. It is true for getting people to read creative writing. Makes me think- why wouldn't it be true for other audiences?

Anonymous said...

I was one of those consumer-minded folks embedded in the suburbs of EastLake. The first time I ever heard of EastLake was from one of those glossy mailers.

It isn't the reason I came to church, but it made church seem less "churchy", a place that could be taken seriously, a place that related to me and where I was at with my "churchless" background.

No one else was trying to reach me, well I did have interesting conversations with Mormons and Jehovah witnesses that came to my door.

I was invited to church, but it wasn't until after perusing the highly produced website that I made the decision that this was a safe place to explore my faith and that I would actually be welcomed as a newcomer.